Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Reflections Before Sleep

This was written on one of those reflective moods that silent solitude so often induces. It was the middle of night, and my mind got all philosophical thinking about the virtues and vices of rest versus work. Sleeping under the open sky is a wonderful experience (minus the mosquitoes, of course). I actually wrote this poem in the dim light from the moon and other luminar sources in the street- being a studious student has the advantage that a pen and notebook are never too far. Not even in the middle of night.

Reflections Before Sleep (6-3-1996)

The night is quiet, the city sleeps;
I just fell on my bed.
Though I want my eyes to close,
They scan the sky instead.

The moon is a sequin in the sky,
And the sky with its thousand eyes
Winks at me and stares at me,
While a shooting star flies by.

My heart is tired, my body aches,
My eyes heavy become;
Sailing on the silent breeze
Sweet sleep has at last come.

Should I love the night more than the day?
(I love the slumber and repose.)
Each morn brings in a hectic day,
Each night I see its chapter close.

The night is pleasant, slumber sweet,
But I can’t wish them to stay;
I do require for needs of life,
For bread and butter another day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home