Tuesday, November 08, 2005

The Common Man

As I grew into latter teens, one philosophical thought that filled my mind was about my identity- my place among the billions on the planet. My fears told me I was a nobody- small and fragile. My ego told me that I was great. My humility tried to teach me that I was better than some, but there were others better than me. I thus learnt that I am just another 'Common Man'.

The Common Man (1993)

Wandering on some lonesome path
An old sage once met me.
“Who are you, I think I know,
I’m sure I know”, quoth he.

“Those eyes, those eyes- O yes I know;
You once ran from a war.
You coward- hark! Let me see,
You haven’t that cheek with a scar”.

“That nose, that nose- yes, now I know;
You are the fool I met.
Or are you not? Well let me see-
He looked different I bet”.

He scratched his head, and then his beard
And fixed his glance on me.
Who are you I think I know,
I think I am sure”, quoth he.

“Are you that knight who yesterday
Fought the demons in the sea?
Those sinews, well, you lack them son,
No! Him you cannot be”.

“That saint I knew, well was it you?
No! Ripe of age was he.
Who are you I can’t recall,
Son, what’s your identity?”

Ripe of age seemed that sage;
Could I bother such a man?
I spoke in the end, as he listened,
I’ll tell you who I am”.

“I am the best of worse men;
No coward was ever valiant as I,
No fool had a more sagacious brain,
No saint uttered so many a lie”.

“You know me right, you know me well,
You do know who I am.
Dear old sir, you know me well-
Lo, I am the common man”.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home