Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Prayer

Someone I knew, and who lived near us, had a scandalous affair with a girl from our impoverished neighbourhood. The episode, which culminated in him getting beaten up and fleeing the street, made me realise that I too had entered a stage in life where I was an easy prey to temptations of all kind. It looked like I needed some divine help to be able to lead a chaste, yet cherishable life. Hence the poem.

Prayer (22-4-1994)

O lord that I in youth have stept-
The devil’s favourite age;
Please help me preserve and protect
My long held good image,
And face the hardships of my life
With vigour and courage,
And to my childish innocence
Make a mature change;
But let a fraction still remain
Lest I should need again,
That innocence in some fraction
Of life’s so short a range;
And help the good in me to stay
For thy mercy on the judgement day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home